Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Bit About My Garden

I have gardened in Illinois, Colorado and  Minnesota. Now I am in Southern California in a canyon surrounded by chaparral and enjoying the challenge. Since this climate is more Mediterranean than desert this opens a whole world of exotic, (to me), plants. This Mediterranean climate is very conducive for plants from everywhere.

There are five Mediterranean climates areas in the world; The Mediterranean basin ,of course, Parts of South Africa, Western coastal Australia, Western Chile and most of coastal and inland California. What determines a Mediterranean climate is very basic. Cool moist to wet winters and Hot dry summers. A whole palette of plants thrive in these areas.

I am quite fond of Aloes, Yuccas, Agaves, oh hell, I'm willing to try anything if I have an open piece of dirt! In my vegetable garden almost anything goes. But there are two seasons, winter is for the greens, lettuce, kale, Swiss chard etc. Summer is for tomatoes, peppers corn, melons and such. Gardening year around, couldn't do that in Northern Minnesota

Here is a pic of another angle from my front yard mixed succulent garden a few days ago.  Details later....


2 comments:

  1. Wow your garden is amazing! I love succulents and cacti; although we get hot summers here in Sacramento , we get frost in the winter time. Sometimes I'm not sure of which succulents will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. terry i can't wait for you to share pics on how you grow and water your veggies. it's such a cool set up!

    ReplyDelete