Monday, August 18, 2014

Vegetable Gardening In El Casco

Vegetable gardening is a real challenge here in El Casco. Ground squirrels, gophers, rabbits and other critters require much fencing and other devious methods to thwart the beasts!  The fellow I bought the house from was sort of a 'collector' and left many building materials and downright junk for me to sort through. I found these large 'hydroponic' bins, approximately 4 foot wide and 12 foot long. They are made of fiberglass and were in pretty good shape.

So having a flat roof carport attached to the garage it looked like a perfect match. I hauled them from out back elevated them above the carport roof, put in drainage and irrigation and some nice rich composted potting soil.voila, critter proof veggie beds!

Here in Southern California we have two main growing seasons; summer for the warm growing plants; tomatoes, peppers, cukes etc. and winter for lettuces, kale, spinach, Swiss chard etc.

Even though we have plenty of summer left I am now purchasing seeds for winter growing I start them in community pots and when the heat breaks will put them in the beds. When the summer plants have been exhausted I clean out debris and replenish with fresh compost and  ready to go.

Here are some pics from last winters' crop. February I believe.




10 comments:

  1. Very creative! I live in upstate NY and we are now harvesting blackberries and peaches. Some peaches have mysteriously disappeared from my husband's baby peach trees, and our five-year-old suggested we install a taller fence around it! Love your blog and looking forward to the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you know how jealous i am of your set-up. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice garden! I would like to do a fall garden this year. Any suggestions for Fall garden that's low maintenance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to The Gardener's Cottage, your blog is now on my daily read list, if for no other reason than to see what Brody is up to from time to time. Very handsome dog he is. I'm only a "patio" gardener (very small actual ground space, but several pots), but that doesn't keep me from reading about all kinds of gardening, in all locales. Now to find out where El Casco is located. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Terry,
    I'm over from Janet's blog. Your vegetable garden looks great. We live in Riverside and tried to grow lettuce a couple of years ago, but some type of critters ate the plants roots and all within a week (I put the planter on top of the barbeque to protect the lettuce from our Dobermans the first night and the next morning a third of the leaves were missing). Most of our tomatoes disappeared too, so we gave up.

    I enjoy your blog. Thanks!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, Thanks much I'll try and blog more about gardening soon.

      Delete
  6. I'm getting ready for fall planting too. Waiting for this darn heat to move on so the seedlings don't keel over in the 100 degree heat! Great pix, keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I, too, am waiting for this heat spell to subside...ugh!

      Delete
  7. Terry,
    As said in the movies, (extra points if you know the movie) "Why don't he write?" I came to your site from the Gardener's Cottage and have enjoyed reading your posts. But times are lean and I am missing your voice. Is all well? Don't sink back into the silence - let us, your loyal readers, know what's going on with you and your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment .Please check out my latest blog 'Woe is Me' It will explain some things..

      Terry

      Delete