Friday, August 15, 2014

Who Rescued Who?

Coming back from my morning walk I decided I needed to talk about my best friend, Brody. Brody came to live with me about three years ago now. He  was rescued off the streets of a nearby city by a kind friend of mine , Megan. She coaxed this 70 pound intimidating American Bulldog in her car and took him home. He was scared and hungry and certainly looked like someone had dumped him. She cared for him but knew with her lifestyle she just couldn't keep him. So she was looking for a home for this sweet dog she named Brody.

I had been living here in El Casco for about year, getting settled in but finding the single life was not so wonderful. I was lonely borderline depressed, finding I was lacking something. I had everything, retirement, living in the country, growing my own food...still, life was not pleasant for me. Things got very dark.

Megan had been begging me to take Brody. I was hesitate, I didn't know if I could take care of myself much less another mouth to feed., Megan needed to go on a business trip and asked if I could watch Brody at my place, as a trial as well. I was very reluctant but agreed. well the rest is history. He never went back to Megans'.

He is the love of my life. He is sweet, gentle and very obedient. I have had many rescue dogs in my life. They always seem to be very thankful to have a new life. Brody is no exception.







 

13 comments:

  1. it's so true - who's rescuing who? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks very content :). I have been blessed with a sweet dog named Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that mug! who could resist? very cute and a nice story too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you resist a dog that likes riding shotgun?
    So fabulous that you found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Faithful Companion



    “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” - Anatole France


    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to have found your blog! You write beautifully. Sweet story about your Brody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine a home without a faithful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's beautiful! I have a hard time saying no...that's why I have 5 dogs, 5 cats and 5 parrots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had (quick count) ten rescue dogs in 25 years; were able to grow them each a few years after they'd been on borrowed time. We didn't set out to do informal rescue; it just happened. Early on, somebody told me that a rescue dog is a grateful dog. They weren't kidding. The dogs never seem to forget that you've gotten them out of a bad scene. They've been worth every ounce of effort...and veterinary expense. (Most of ours wound up being special-needs pets; gets expensive sometimes, at least in phases; joy to patch them up, though; ease their pain.) I also currently feed 5 homeless cats, two were abandoned by my neighbor; one stray has reverted to a near-feral state and the other two born in the wild but now conditioned to a human somewhat. That's a little harder because you can't get at them to deflea, etc. However, we round them up in conjunction with Animal Control or a rescue org when we can to spay/neuter & immunize. Sometimes I think we're nuts; it's confining. Too many of them. But I don't think I could live without a dog now. I get what you mean. It starts out with us saving them but, in the end, they save us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an American Bulldog/Dane mix I pulled off the streets. He was terribly intimidating to put in my car, but I just threw caution to the wind and grabbed him. He has been with me 6 yrs now, living with my other 5 dogs, and 2 foster pups as well. He is over 130 lbs now, weighed only 73 when I picked him off the streets. All of my rescues and fosters are so thankful for the loving safe home, good meals and soft beds...they don't forget where they once were. They truly enrich my soul and life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rescue dogs are the best, and so are the people who rescue them I find. Anyone who is a dog's friend is a friend of mine:)

    ReplyDelete